One of my all time favorite (and arguably one of the best) RTS games is Age of Empires II. While I have spent countless hundreds of hours playing AoE2, the lack of high resolution support is a bit of pain, especially on the high resolution monitors that are available today compared to when the game came out. Fortunately, a GamersMint reader by the name of Martin has come up with a solution.
Although the solution below does create some strange behavior with the HUD (head up display) as seen in the picture below, you can use the following instructions to play AoE 2 in high resolution and even on dual monitors (shown below). Here are the instructions:
- Hook up your two big-ass monitors.
- Configure your graphics card to merge the two displays into one wide one. (I was only able to do this with my nVidia card, but if your ATI cards support EyeFinity, that should work too.)
- Patch your game using this awesome utility. The tool spits out a special EXE that runs the game in your current resolution.
- Play Age of Empires II like a boss.
- You can use this tool even if you only have one monitor. So you play in 1690×1020, 1920×1080, 1368×768, etc.
Thanks to GamersMint for the tip!
UPDATED: Fixed link.