This tip comes in from Eric Lo and and is a great list of free software for protecting your laptop or netbook. If you are getting a new laptop or netbook for Christmas, you definitely need to check out this list. If you are getting one for somebody, you should link them to this list as soon as they get it fired up! Eric’s tip:
Traditional computer security measures are not enough to protect your laptop and netbook. You have to pay attention on various laptop related security risks such as insecure public wireless network, laptop theft, laptop search, about which you don’t worry with your desktop computer. Whether your laptop is stolen or not, your privacy can still be at risk by simply traveling with your laptop. The Homeland Security Department and other authority can search your laptop to look for evidences on any illegal activity and illicit materials stored on your laptop such as unlicensed songs, movies, software or unlawful images of children. However, good laptop security does not necessarily cost you money. Here are 7 easy-to-use, useful and free software that can help you protect your laptop, your sensitive data and your privacy.
- Encryption. TrueCrypt is a trustworthy encryption program that can protect your data against unauthorized access. www.truecrypt.org
- Backup. Cobian Backup is a backup program that can protect your data against loss. www.cobiansoft.com. An alternative is Mozy free edition, which is an online backup software with 2 Gbytes space. www.mozy.com
- Antivirus. AVG free edition provides protection against viruses, spyware and other malware. free.avg.com/ww-en/download-free.
- Firewall. The built-in Windows firewall can protect your laptop against hackers while you’re online. (but make sure it is configured properly)
- Alarm. LAlarm is like a car alarm for your laptop. The software can help prevent your laptop from theft, and can also recover and destroy your data in the laptop in case of theft. www.lalarm.com
- Tracking. Prey is laptop tracking software that can locate your laptop if it is stolen. www.preyproject.com
- File shredder. Eraser is a data sanitizing program that can permanently delete sensitive data such as passwords, Internet browse history, personal information from your laptop. www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Eraser
I have never tried Cobian Backup, but if you are looking for more storage than you can get with Mozy but don’t want to pay a monthly fee, I recommend using Amazon’s S3 data storage. I find it is far more economical for myself because rather than a monthly fee, it is just $.15/GB transferred. Considering how much I back up a month, it tends to be the best deal for me. Also, when it comes to antivirus, I am an Avira AntiVir person but I have always heard great things about AVG. Anyway, make use of this tip!
If you would like to send in your own tech tips, e-mail them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Global Geek News on Twitter and listen to the latest Global Geek News Podacast!